Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch (1871-1971).|
Reproduced exactly as published in 1971 - no updates, no corrections.
First Dwelling Had Round Logs
The first dwelling in Brainerd was built of round logs by Charles Darby. The second built of hewn logs by Stuart Seeley, was completed on Oct. 10, 1870. and used as a boarding house, saloon and dance hall, until it burned three years later. It was located on the east bank of the river, north of the railroad bridge.
The third building was a small, hastily built structure used as a saloon.
The fourth building, which was the first frame building in' Brainerd was constructed as a residence by L.P. White on the corner of Seventh and Juniper, across from Gregory square.
Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch (1871-1971).