Brought to you by the Brainerd Dispatch - News and Information of the Brainerd Lakes Area since 1881.

brainerdhistory.com Subscribe to the Brainerd Dispatch and read today's history in the making!
LINKS
BrainerdDispatch.com  
Brainerd News - here
UpNorthAutos.com  
Find A Car! - here
UpNorthJobFinder  
Find A Job! - here
UpNorthMovieFinder here

brainerdhistory.com logo

brought to you by: brainerddispatch.com

Sections: Home | Early Years | Air Travel | Autos | Bands | Banks | Bataan | Businesses | Clubs | Crow Wing County | Education | Fairs | Farming | Fires | Government | Healthcare | Hotels | Libraries | Liveries | Lumbering | Memories | Military | Native Americans | Natural Resources | Newspapers | Officials | Papermill | Parks | Police | Railroads | Religion | Resorts | Sports | The Watertower | Complete Article List
Extra: Historic Pages | Desktop Wallpaper | Geneology & History | Photo Gallery
Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch (1871-1971).
Reproduced exactly as published in 1971 - no updates, no corrections.


photo: early

  PARKERVILLE--Horse-drawn vehicles transported many vacationers to resorts in the early days of the vacation industry, Tents were used to house the visitors but the ladies wore fancy dresses, anyway, and often stayed two weeks. The above picture was taken at Parkerville on North Long Lake in the 1890s.

Early Convenience


Ice was not only used for packing and shipping fish, it was the only means of refrigeration at that time.

The ice was taken during the winter by a regular crew of harvesters. (It was harvested much like grain in the early days.) Men worked together going from place to place filling ice houses.

Lake ice was sawed into square cakes and pulled from the lake with large ice tongs, loaded on horse-drawn sleds and carried to ice houses where the cakes were packed in sawdust. Layer after layer of these cakes were piled into the houses for next summer's use.

Cottage owners and early resorters gathered their ice from these houses each year.

photo: early

  CONVENTION VISITORS AT BRAINERD RAILROAD STATION--This picture was taken at the Brainerd railroad station early in the century when a group of newspapermen and their wives from Indiana visited the lake area. (Minnesota Historical Society photo.)

On the property of each private cottage, there were at least two other buildings, the ice house, if the owner could afford to own one, and an outdoor toilet, usually with a painted door.

Early resorts and private cottages had no electricity. All light came from either candles or kerosene lamps, and house-wives spent many hours washing chimneys and cleaning wicks to be assured of good light.

Casper Mills, father of Stewart from Brainerd, ran the first steam boat to boom out the logs into Gull Lake.

Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch (1871-1971).

Comments or questions about this website?

Brainerd Dispatch

This web site and all it's contents © Copyright The Brainerd Dispatch
506 James Street, P.O. Box 974, Brainerd, Minnesota, U.S.A. 56401
FAX: 218-829-7735 | PHONE: 218-829-4705 | E-MAIL: newstips@brainerddispatch.com
Privacy Statement