The Barracks of World War One Veterans is a chartered organization consisting of four degrees -- local, district, state or department and national. All of these organizations hold regular meetings with the local units electing delegates to the higher groups.
Purpose of the overall organization is to assist World War One veterans to be recognized, receive better pensions and hospitalization and other forms of help.
Brainerd Barracks No. 1289 was organized April 20, 1958, with Thomas W. Caswell elected commander. The Auxiliary was organized soon afterward with Mrs. Frances Caswell as president.
Among activities of the local Barracks are attendance at funerals of World War One veterans and wives, participating in Memorial Day services placing flags on graves and presenting new ones to schools, along with remembering the servicemen and their families in various ways.
The Auxiliary has provided many items for local veterans and their wives, such as lap robes, ponchos, etc.
Several local members have risen to district posts and others to department position. Present officers are George E. Nelson, commander, and Mrs. Rose Thomas, president.