Brought to you by the Brainerd Dispatch - News and Information of the Brainerd Lakes Area since 1881.

brainerdhistory.com Subscribe to the Brainerd Dispatch and read today's history in the making!
LINKS
BrainerdDispatch.com  
Brainerd News - here
UpNorthAutos.com  
Find A Car! - here
UpNorthJobFinder  
Find A Job! - here
UpNorthMovieFinder here

brainerdhistory.com logo

brought to you by: brainerddispatch.com

Sections: Home | Early Years | Air Travel | Autos | Bands | Banks | Bataan | Businesses | Clubs | Crow Wing County | Education | Fairs | Farming | Fires | Government | Healthcare | Hotels | Libraries | Liveries | Lumbering | Memories | Military | Native Americans | Natural Resources | Newspapers | Officials | Papermill | Parks | Police | Railroads | Religion | Resorts | Sports | The Watertower | Complete Article List
Extra: Historic Pages | Desktop Wallpaper | Geneology & History | Photo Gallery
Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch (1871-1971).
Reproduced exactly as published in 1971 - no updates, no corrections.


photo: news

  1971 AT BANG PRINTING, left to right: Mervin Larson, Ruth Meyers, Carl Bowen, Orville Peterson, Art Bang, Les Franz, Ray Bang, Linda Nelson, Ruth Soderlund, Mary Berg, Clem Maust, Dorothy Carlson, Gene Evenson, Charles Martin, Louis Thompson, Ralph Lindberg, Craig Engelhart, Michael Powers, Arlen Roste, David Henderson, George Stohr, Wesley Harden, Michael Rardin.

Bang Printing descended from 1899 newspaper


Bang Printing is at least indirectly descended from the earliest publishing firms of Brainerd. It all started with "The Arena," a newspaper started by B. E. Beard, a newcomer to Brainerd in the year 1899. Beard sold Out soon after moving here and the firm passed through several owners until December of 1910, when R. M. Sheets, of Long Prairie, bought it and renamed it The Brainerd Journal Press.

Mr. Sheets died suddenly in 1936 and in 1937 it was sold to Ralph R. Cole and Ralph B. Lindberg. This paper had begun as a daily but was now a weekly.

Shortly after World War II Ray Bang, who previously had operated restaurants and night clubs in the area, came into the firm as a partner. During this partnership the Brainerd Tribune was purchased. This had been Brainerd's first paper, started in 1872. Ray Bang later purchased the interests of Mr. Cole and Mr. Lindberg.

In 1951 the newspaper portion of the business, with its healthy but unprofitable circulation, was sold to the Brainerd Dispatch. Now being in strictly commercial business it was decided to change the name to Brainerd Press. It seems this was not enough of a change since the phone still continued to ring with news items, so it was later changed to Bang Printing.

photo: business

  IN AUGUST OF 1949 WITH THE FAIR EDITION: left to right: Stan Gorham, Ray Bang, Ralph Cole, Walt Klinefelter, Lawrence Holman, Phil Sundquist, Ardyss Martinson, Judy Ross, Orville Peterson, Dick Caswell, Bea Ross, Dick Sears, Ralph Lindberg and Donna Evans.

The plant operated for years at 512 Front Street in the Ransford building, but in 1965 moved to its new building at Fourth and Front Streets.

The principal business of the firm remains commercial printing, specializing in catalogs and in food service boxes which are being sold around the world.

Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch (1871-1971).

photo: business

  THIS IS THE WAY IT LOOKED from about 1936 to 1946 at 512 Front Street in the Ransford building.

photo: business

  NEW SHOP AT FOURTH AND FRONT STREETS

Comments or questions about this website?

Brainerd Dispatch

This web site and all it's contents © Copyright The Brainerd Dispatch
506 James Street, P.O. Box 974, Brainerd, Minnesota, U.S.A. 56401
FAX: 218-829-7735 | PHONE: 218-829-4705 | E-MAIL: newstips@brainerddispatch.com
Privacy Statement